Are you looking for a non-electric hot plate for cooking or keeping food warm?
Then keep on reading!
We have chosen different hot plate models for this exact situation to review, including gas single and double burners, as well as ones made of stone. Here you can also find out about features to consider when choosing the best model for your needs.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Non-Electric Hot Plate: What Is It?
These are appliances that don’t require electricity to work. Those are classic gas models and heating stones. The gas stove is a gas-powered model, while the stone needs to be heated up in order to use it for cooking or warming food.
Are They Less Efficient Than Electric Models?
No, actually, gas ones are way more powerful than electric hot plates. A heating stone is an a bit unusual method, however, it gets the job done.
Is There A Battery-Operated Hot Plate?
Not yet. Such models are still developing as their power isn’t strong enough to boil water, let alone to cook food. At the moment, some hot plate variations have 20 watts. That power is suitable only for keeping the coffee warm.
Who Needs A Non-Electric Model?
Everyone who doesn’t want to worry about the availability of a power outlet, whether we’re talking about using such a hot plate in your backyard, on a camping or RV trip, for parties, and holiday meals. Also, a heating stone is great too, as it can keep your food warm. Such a model is great for both indoor and outdoor use, while gas models are for outdoor use only.
Great Specifications Without The Need For Electricity: Learn About All The Functions
There are 2 types you can choose from, so here are all the specifications you need to have in mind before you decide on buying a non-electric model.
Gas Hot Plate: Details
A gas hot plate is made for cooking and frying food, with an option for warming. It comes with great specifications which will meet all your needs.
- Butane or propane gas are used as the power source for this model which requires canisters and cylinders to create flame for cooking.
- With a high-temperature range between 100 and 480 Fahrenheit degrees, a gas hot plate can easily be adjusted and set up for different types of cooking – boiling, steaming, frying, and cooking.
- Gas BTU power of this model usually goes up to 15,000 BTU for single burners and 25,000 BTU or more for double burners.
- Portability is great for this model since it allows you to carry your hot plate everywhere you go. Gas models often come with carrying cases so they are ideal for camping and hiking.
Stone Hot Plate: About Functions & Efficiency
A stone hot plate is made for warming up food. It needs an oven, microwave, or open fire to first be heated, and then used for the warming process.
- Granite, volcanic, or some other natural stone is the key material of the making. The mentioned materials are strong and durable, and they can be heated at a temperature as high as 1,200 Fahrenheit degrees.
- 450 Fahrenheit degrees is the maximum heat most stones can hold. Some special models can hold up to more than 1000° Fahrenheit. However, the heat of 450° Fahrenheit is enough to let you prepare and cook meat, as well as warm-up leftovers and meals.
- The heating stone can hold heat for up to 20 minutes. This mostly depends on how you heat the stone up, but the difference is in a couple of minutes, so it is negligible.
- Small and compact, a stone hot plate is great as a portable appliance, it can easily be moved and stored.
Best 6 Non-Electric Hot Plates
Chef Buddy 82-2005 Warming Stone
Dimensions: 9 x 10.25 x 1 inches
Weight: 2.16 Pounds
Controls Type: /
No Battery Or Cords
This stone features a granite core center with a white polypropylene frame and side handles. It requires no battery, cords, or chemicals to keep food warm. However, it is not designed for cooking food, but only as a hot plate to keep food warm when it is served.
Granite Keeps Food Warm
It measures 9 inches in length and 10.25 inches in width and is 1 inch high. It works by placing it in the microwave for a few minutes. After you take the granite center out of the microwave, it stays warm and so does the food on it. The carrying handles are cool to the touch for safely taking out of the microwave.
Stone Transfers Heat
The granite core itself measures 7.75 inches in length and width. After it is heated in the microwave, it transfers heat from the stone to the cookware sitting on top of it. That way you can always serve food at holiday dinners and parties at a warm temperature.
Indoor & Outdoor Use
As it has no cords, it can be used both indoors and outdoors safely. When you need to clean it, you can take out the granite stone from the frame for easy maintenance. It can even be bought in packs of two, three, or four units. It is safe to use on all surfaces.
- granite core center with a white plastic frame
- can be heated in the microwave
- safe to use on any surface indoors and outdoors
- 9 inches long and 10.25 inches wide
- heat transfers from stone to cookware
Atosa ATHP-12-2 Gas Plate
Dimensions: 12 x 27.6 x 13.1 inches
Weight: 73 Pounds
Controls Type: Adjustable
Power: 25,000 BTU
For Personal & Commercial Use
This double burner hot plate is powered by natural gas with a power of 25,000 BTU. As it is so powerful, it can be used for big family gatherings or even for commercial restaurant use. It makes cooking faster so that you can prepare more food in the same time slot.
Individual Flame Adjusting
As it has two burners, it also has two turning knobs for adjusting the flame. The independent controls allow you to adjust the flames of each burner, which means both can be used at the same time. There is a waste tray at the bottom as wide as the unit which can be easily removed for cleaning grease and debris.
Durable & Adjustable Design
The housing is constructed from stainless steel so that it is easy to clean, and also very durable. Stainless steel is resistant to corrosion, as well. The feet at the bottom are adjustable and can even be removed to fit the space. This type is ideal for small cafes and restaurants and it is also suitable for outdoor use.
Lightweight & Compact
This gas double burner hot plate is compact enough to transport and take with you on camping trips and other travel expeditions. It can be used with natural gas or liquid propane with compatible connections for easy use.
- natural gas or liquid propane double burner
- 25000 BTU for commercial and personal use
- two independent adjustable flame knobs
- corrosion-free stainless steel construction
- durable and portable design with removable legs
- full-width removable waste tray
GasOne 3900P Portable Gas Plate
Dimensions: 13 x 11 x 4.5 inches
Weight: 4.65 Pounds
Controls Type: Adjustable
Power: 15,000 BTU
Uses Propane Or Butane
This one-burner unit features dual fuel and can use both propane and butane to ignite flames on the brass burner head. It has long cookware support so that you can use it with smaller cookware like teapots, as well as larger containers, like pots and pans.
The butane cartridge is 8 ounces and if you plan to power it by propane, you will need a 16.4-ounce propane cylinder. With the electric ignition, you won’t need matches or lighters to start a flame. The turning knob lets you adjust the flame for different heat while cooking.
Designed For Outdoor Use
This small model can be used only outdoors because it operates with open flame. It is designed to prevent wind from turning the flame out with wind-blocking corners. It comes with a carry case so that you can take this unit anywhere with you. It can be used for cooking when camping, backpacking, or going on outdoor adventures.
Lightweight & Portable
This unit is ideal for use on the go, as it weighs only 4 pounds. It is compact enough to use in small spaces and durable for outdoor use. It is loved among outdoor enthusiasts who camp and spend time away from a kitchen. That way meals can be prepared and cooked even outdoors.
- can work with propane or butane
- needs a 16.4-ounce propane tank
- can work with an 8-ounce butane canister
- wind-blocking corners for outdoor cooking
- weighs only 4 pounds for portability
- cooks food while camping, backpacking
- turning knob adjusts the flame
NutriChef PKLVST10 Stone Tray
Dimensions: 13.3 x 7.8 x 2.7 inches
Weight: 14 ounces
Controls Type: /
Acacia Wood & Natural Stone
This countertop model features a tray made of acacia wood and a natural stone rock platter fitted on top. The stone hot plate is thick and rugged to retain heat for a longer time. The simple style and design lets you use it in different decors and for different occasions.
Safe For Countertops
This travel hot plate is safe to use on any surface or countertop. It measures 11.8 inches in length, 7.8 inches in width, and is 1.2 inches high. The wooden tray is 13.3 inches long, 7.8 inches wide, and 1.2 inches high. It comes with stainless steel knives kit so that you can cut up and serve food with ease.
Cooks & Serves Food
Placing it in the oven for 60 minutes on 550 to 650 Fahrenheit degrees, or heating it on the stove for 25 to 30 minutes will make the plate hot. It can then be placed on the wood tray with gloves to cook and serve food. To make sure the plate is hot enough, you can splash water droplets on it. If they sizzle and evaporate soon, it is ready to use.
Ideal For Grilling Meats
This unit is designed to hold the heat of up to 450 Fahrenheit degrees. It lets you prepare and cook meats, such as chicken, lamb, steak, etc. The grilled meat can also be served on this hot plate to keep it warm. It is easy to clean and resistant to stains.
- acacia wood tray and natural stone plate
- 11.8 inches long and 7.8 inches wide
- safe to use on any countertop surface
- heats up in the oven or on the stove
- holds 450 Fahrenheit for cooking meat
TECHEF Gas Hot Plate
Dimensions: 14 x 6 x 14 inches
Weight: 7.58 pounds
Controls Type: Adjustable
Power: 11,500 BTU
Swirl Plate With A Drain
This Korean unit features a portable gas stove with a swirl-design cooking surface. It is made in Korea and used to cook pork belly, and other meats. The swirl design with a hole on the edge is there to drain excess grease and fats away from the meat.
Electric Flame Ignition
The portable stove uses butane gas and works with an 8-ounce butane canister. It is easily installed to the side compartment with a magnetic lock. This model has an automatic shutoff for safety. After installation, the flame can start without a lighter or matches with the electric ignition.
Slowly Drains Oils
The control knob situated on the side of the canister compartment has an off position and lets you adjust the intensity of the flame by turning it. The hot plate has a slightly sloped design so that the oils and fats drain from the food slowly for better taste.
For Indoor Countertops
This Korean hot plate can be used on any countertop inside your house, so you don’t longer have to go to restaurants to have delicious Korean BBQ food. It lets you prepare more food at once while spending time with your family or friends.
from $80 to $95 depending on eCommerce offer (Amazon) and discounts
- swirl-design hot plate with a drain hole
- comes with a butane portable gas stove
- requires an 8-ounce butane canister
- adjustable flame by turning the control knob
- used to cook pork belly and other Korean BBQ
- sloped and swirl design slowly drains fats
Chef Master 90019 Stove
Dimensions: 13 x 11 x 4 inches
Weight: 5.04 pounds
Controls Type: Adjustable
Power: 15,000 BTU
Durable For Outdoors
This portable gas hot plate with 15,000 BTU uses butane gas to operate the single burner. The durable housing with the canister comes with a carry case so that you can take it along with you when camping, backpacking, fishing, barbecuing, etc. It can be used outdoors due to the open flame.
Features A Wind-Guard
After attaching the butane canister, you will be able to adjust the heat by turning the knob to cook different food. The wind-guard keeps the air away from extinguishing the flame so that it is easy to use in outdoor conditions. After cooking, it is advised to clean it by removing the plate from the top.
Once stored inside the carry case, this unit is compact enough to fit into backpacks for hiking or camping. The single burner measures 13 inches by 11 inches and is designed for use of both smaller and large cooking pots and pans for different cooking needs.
Safe To Use
As it has an electric ignition, you won’t have to deal with matches and lighters to get the flame started. It is safe to use thanks to the pressure sensor and automatic shutoff, as well as an in-line regulator.
- 15000 BTU portable single burner
- uses butane canisters to ignite the flame
- electric-ignition is convenient for outdoors
- can be used in outdoor conditions
- portable size with a carry case
- safe to use with automatic shutoff
- easy to clean by removing the plate
How To Use Hot Plates That Don’t Require Electricity?
These models aren’t hard to use but they do require some specific actions.
This model has 3 different options for heating up.
1. If you want to heat up the stone hot plate in the oven, set the temperature between 500 and 600 Fahrenheit degrees and leave the stone in for up to 30 minutes. If you’re using a microwave, you can place the stone in it for 4 to 5 minutes. You can also place the stone over the open flame and use it as a grill. It needs up to 30 minutes to heat up this way.
2. Once the stone is heated, take it away from the oven, microwave, or fire, place it on its stand, and you can use it for preparing simple meals. However, have in mind that most such models are designed only for warming food, even though they can be used for preparing as simplest meals as possible.
Gas Hot Plate
The gas model is a bit easier to use than a heating stone.
1. Connect the gas canister with the unit. The type of gas can be butane, propane, or some other natural gas instructed in the manual. To connect it, just use a connecting pipe or regulator. Some models come with a gas compartment too, so all you need to do is to place the canister inside it.
2. Once the gas is set, adjust the temperature.
3. Place the pan or pot with food and start cooking.
Features Of High Safety
Both models come with specific features that guarantee the highest levels of safety. The same actually goes for all hot plate types, not only this one.
What Makes A Gas Hot Plate Safe?
A gas model has an adjustable temperature so you can control the flame. In order to use it outside, make sure you choose the one that comes with wind protection. The bottom of such a model is well-designed in order to ensure stability and security.
What About A Heating Stone?
A stone comes with a stand and handles. Those features are cool to the touch and thanks to that, safe for countertops and handling.
Cleaning Instructions For Models That Don’t Require Electricity To Work
These hot plates don’t require any special cleaning operation. All you need is a damp cloth, a soft sponge, or a toothbrush in the combination with baking soda and vinegar. Once you clean your hot plate, dry it, and store it in a safe place.
To Wrap It Up
In my opinion, the best non-electric hot plate is the Chef Buddy model. It is designed to keep food warm after only heating up in the microwave for a few minutes. It uses no cords or batteries, so it is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use, just like this list of camping hot plates. For more information and reviews on butane and propane models, take a look at my article about the best gas hot plates.