Are you decided you want to use a hot plate for canning but are not sure which model to pick, and which safety features to consider?
Keep on reading to find out all the needed answers for canning for the first time on this type of device.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Can You Use a Hot Plate For Canning?
Is it actually safe to use a portable hot plate for canning? It may not work for all types of canning, but if you follow the guideline when selecting the device, you’ll be able to do it.
Which Type Of Hot Plate Is Best For Canning?
Most people love to use a gas hot plate which is more effective for this procedure, but also you can use an induction model which quickly heats up. Electric countertop models are not recommended for canning as they take time to heat up and cool down.
Can You Do Canning On a Hot Plate As Effectively As On The Stove?
Of course, if you don’t own a stove you can also can food on a hot plate if you know the whole process and how to use it properly.
What To Consider When Canning For The First Time On Hot Plate?
Here is the list of the things you need to consider if you’re planning to use a hot plate for a presser canner.
How Much Canner Weight?
The weight of the canner is a very important feature to consider. Burners are mostly designed for frying, cooking pasta, etc. Check the load-bearing capacity of the unit to be sure it won’t crack when you place the fully-loaded canner on the top.
Can You Use Double Burners For Canning?
Double burners are not the best choice for canning, as the power is divided between two burners, so you can expect the processing time to be extended compared to canning on a single burner.
How Strong Is The Heat From Burner?
If you’re planning on using a gas burner for indoor or outdoor use, it is important to check the gas range. It is not recommended to use a canner on a gar range that is over 12,000 BTUs.
Why? The main reason is that the heat can easily damage the canner.
This will mostly happen on newer and thinner aluminum canners. Heat can cause a simple warping and leave damage marks, which will make the device non-functional for use.
But what if you think the canner, because of its specification won’t get damages from the excess heat, which is over 12,000 BTUs? The National Center for Home Food Preservation doesn’t recommend using it, mostly because a rapid-heat-up time will potentially produce an unsafe product.
Which Is Recommended Size Of Burner?
The burner diameter needs to be bigger than the diameter of the canner you’re planning to use. Make sure it is not more than 4 inches smaller than a canner. For example, if the canner diameter is 12 inches, the coil needs to be at least 8 inches in diameter.
How The Burner Is Constructed?
Use a burner that is sturdy and secured. Also, look for the model which is high enough to allow airflow under the burner.
Which Wattage Is Recommended?
The burner needs to have housing that will hold up high heat for a long period but won’t damage the countertop of the canner.
If you’re using an electric burner for canning, wattage needs to be equal to the household range burner, which is around either 1750 W or higher. Most of the portable heaters run 1500 W.
Is It Safe For Indoor And Outdoor Use?
Most of the burners are suitable for outdoor use but make sure to place them away from the wind. Most people recommend placing the burn under a sheltered area so that the wind won’t weaken or blow the flame out constantly.
If you’re using it indoors, the room needs to be well ventilated, especially if you’re using a gas burner.
Additional Safety Tips
Here is the list of additional tips you need to consider when using a canner for the first time on a hot plate.
- It is recommended to not use portable burners which have metal baffles on the sides. They may prevent a canner from being placed in the center over the burner’s flame.
- If you found the pressure canner which is suitable for a portable hot plate, make sure to add a little more water so the food doesn’t burn dry, especially with the high BTUs devices. This is especially important for the food with long processing cooking time such as meat, fish, etc.
- Always make sure that the model has a certification by the manufacturer that is safe for use indoor.
- If it’s cold or windy outside, it is not recommended to use the burner outdoor if you can use it indoors. Maybe you’ll need a lot more time to boil the water and a drop in water temperature can affect the cooking process and the final product.
- Make sure the cookware is suitable for the burner. For example, glass, ceramic, or aluminum models won’t work on induction models.
- The bottom of the canner needs to be smooth so it is stable on the burner and the food can proceed well
- If the hot plate is less than 1500 watts, you will need a lot more time for canning which can affect the taste of food
- Make sure that the temperature and other control are out of the way from a canning pot
- Always read the reviews from other customers, whether they try using it indoors or outdoor and how are they satisfied with the canning process
- Never slide the canner on the hot plate, pressure can easily scratch the cooktop
How To Do Canning At Home
If you decide you want to can some type of food at home by using a hot plate, here are steps based on canning methods that you can follow to make it safe to eat.
Prepare the ingredients by following the recipe depending on what type of food you want to can. Check the processing time. Wash the ingredients to remove all dirt but avoid soaking them in water.
Prepare Lids And Jars
Depending on how much food you want to can, prepare jars that are suitable for the size of the food. All jars need to be washed with soap and water and rinsed well.
After you clean them keep them hot, which can be done by placing them in the dishwasher. Never use cold jars while placing hot products inside, they can easily break during the process.
Start With Filling
Add the ingredients inside and check the methods of the pack to be there is proper headspace and air bubbles are removed.
Wipe the jar with a clean damp cloth and screw lids but not too tightly so the air can escape during the canning process. Now you can put filled jars in the canner on the hot plate.
Fill the canner with hot water halfway and set the burner at a recommended temperature. When you add jars inside, pour more water between if needed. Don’t pour it directly on the jars to prevent breakage. Place the lid on the canner.
Make sure to check the processing time and adjust the heat of the hot plate. When recommended time is over, remove the lid from the canner and wait for about 5 minutes before you remove the jars.
Carefully remove the jars from the canner using protective gloves or cloth. Place them on a cooling rack or towels. Don’t place them on a cold surface, the jar might easily break. Cooldown jars from 12 to 24 hours
To Wrap It Up
Canning on a hot plate can be affected as the canning on a stove, and if you pick the right model by following safety guidelines you won’t have trouble with cooking. It is important to consider all the safety tips to prevent any problems such as pot or burner damage. Always check the manufacturer’s guidelines and certifications to whether the model is suitable for indoor or outdoor use.