It is frustrating to wait for the wooden cutting boards to dry out when you need them.
So, there is an idea that goes through your mind – can you put wood in the oven?
We’ve researched the topic and here are a few tricks to help you get the job done quickly and efficiently. So, read on!
Can You Bake Wood To Dry It Out?
Can You Put a Wooden Cutting Board In The Oven?
Can You Put a Wooden Cutting Board In The Oven?
Cutting boards can be made from different materials – various wood, acrylic, plastic, glass, bamboo, etc. When it comes to wooden cutting boards, they can be made from hardwood or softwood and they are held together with glues (which is, of course, food-safe).
If you decide to buy a softwood cutting board, you should know it’s less expensive but will absorb everything, including the soaps and detergents you clean it with.
Also, don’t leave a wooden cutting board with other wet dishes, there is a risk of mold growth.
Many people don’t care much about wooden cutting board maintenance, they just clean it with soap and water.
In hot temperatures, glues that hold the wooden cutting board together will come undone. This applies to temperature in dishwashers, microwave ovens and ovens. Therefore, some people suggest not putting a wooden cutting board in the oven to sterilize it, while others want to use the oven for drying.
Finally, the answer to the mentioned question is – yes, you can put a wooden cutting board in the oven, as long the temperature doesn’t reach 350°F.
Quality and the well-made wooden board can withstand a good amount of heat. Also, quality hardwood cutting boards can withstand higher temperatures of 480 °F (still, you can’t cook pizza on the wooden cutting board).
Can You Put a Bamboo Cutting Board In The Oven?
Bamboo grows like a weed, so it might be a more environmental-friendly option than wooden boards.
Bamboo cutting boards are very expensive and absorb less liquid than wooden ones.
You shouldn’t soak it in the water or put it in the dishwasher since it has many glued pieces to come apart. These boards are light and solid as a real piece of wood.
Can You Put Wood Skewers In The Oven?
Well, yes, you can put wooden skewers in the oven. However, wooden skewers are designed for single use only.
Can You Bake Wooden Cutlery In The Oven?
Just like the food sticks, you can dry your wooden cutlery in the oven. There’s no really difference between wood from cutting boards, food sticks or handle pans and pozza peels so the drying process is the same.
How To Dry Wood In The Oven?
If you still want to do that, here is a step-by-step process. Find out how to prepare the oven and wooden board, where to put it, and how long to dry it.
- Prepare your oven – First, rearrange your oven racks that one is in the center and another is in the bottom – that is essential for adequate air circulation. Then preheat the oven, and keep the temperature between 200°F (93°C). Make sure the temperature doesn’t reach 500°F or 260°C because at that temperature the wood is flammable. Turn on the convection fan, it will provide rapid air circulation.
- Put the wooden cutting board on the center rack.
- Ensure the temperature isn’t over 225°F and dry the wooden board for about 1 hour. Keep checking the temperature every so often.
- Bring out the board – After an hour, bring the cutting board out of the oven to cool down. After cooling, check for deformities.
Precautions When Drying Wooden Cutting Board
You need to be aware that this process can easily go in the wrong direction, so follow these steps and ensure maximum safety during the process.
- Keep the fire extinguisher near – It will be very useful if a fire occurs.
- Check the wood drying process – Don’t leave it for an hour while you’re somewhere else. Check the drying every 10 minutes.
- Use mittens when removing the dry wooden cutting board from the oven. That will prevent burns.
- In case you notice any smoke, turn off the oven immediately. Find the source of the smoke and if there is no fire, open all windows to let the smoke dissipate.
- If a fire outbreak occurs, keep the oven door closed for a few minutes to see if the fire will die out. If it doesn’t, open the door and use a fire extinguisher. If the fire is larger than you can handle, call for appropriate help.
How To Know When Wooden Board Is Dry?
Some characteristics will help you determine whether your wooden cutting board is properly dried.
First, you can check the cutting board weight. The dried wood is lighter in weight than the damp ones. And another thing is wood color. Dried wood is lighter in color than wet wood.
Disinfecting a Wooden Cutting Board In Microwave
A food scientist and microbiologist D. O. Cliver has this idea – put the wooden cutting board for 10 minutes on high in an 800-watt microwave oven and most of the bacteria will be killed. He claims there is total elimination after 3-4 minutes at these watts.
However, there isn’t an official recommendation for home users to do it.
If you still want to do that, be aware of the possible risks. Heating the dry objects can damage your microwave. Also, heating the board for too long can could cause the board to explode or fire, as well as weaken the glue bonds.
There is no safety testing for doing that. Now, some manufacturers specify that their cutting boards aren’t microwaved safely.
Can Wood Go Into Gas Oven?
Gas flame in the oven is separated from the cooking area so there’s no way the fire catches the wooden boards or cutlery. You just need to avoid placing the wooden things too low since on the bottom of the gas pan, there is a flame so it’s the hottest area.
Can You Dried Firewood In The Oven?
Actually, you can. The only limitation can be the size of the wood. But you can cut it down into smaller pieces. Keep the temperature between 200 °F and 225 °F.
To Wrap It Up
The process of drying wood in the oven is effective, fast and simple. Therefore, the answer to the question can you put wood in the oven is positive. However, you have to take some precautions to avoid possible hazards.