“You shouldn’t eat fruit on empty stomach, it causes fermentation and gas and food spoilage, it will sit badly on your stomach!”
Familiar with that? 😀
You want or already live healthily and want to incorporate more fruit into your diet, preferably breakfast. But there are many misconceptions about is it okay to eat fruits in the morning.
We listed the best fruit to eat in the morning empty stomach, which fruit to avoid, and which are benefits and downsides of eating it.
Get the best out of your morning diet.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Should you Eat Fruit On An Empty Stomach?
Unfortunately, a lot of misinformation circulates on the internet.
So, let’s start from the beginning. There are claims should you, when and which fruit to eat in the morning. According to some relevant sources in this field, we’ll try to answer all these questions in one place.
There is one myth that you should always eat fruit on an empty stomach because eating it with a meal will cause slow digestion, fermentation, rotting, gas, discomfort and other unpleasant issues.
The fiber in fruit can indeed slow digestion, all other claims are false. Eating food on empty stomach will slow down your digestion a little bit, but it won’t cause food spoilage and similar things.
The Best Time To Eat Fruit Is In The Morning?
Actually, there is no evidence to support this thought. Your digestive system is always ready to digest the fruit and other food, no matter what time of the day is. Fruit is healthy in the morning, noon and afternoon – always.
Also, no evidence eating fruit in the evening causes weight gain.
Shortly – any time of the day is the right time to eat fruit.
People with diabetes, those who want to lose weight and those with gestational diabetes should take care of the fruit-eating timing.
What Fruit To Eat In The Morning?
While fruits are a storehouse of minerals, vitamins, fibers and others, it’s a very good idea to add them to your breakfast. Also, it is important to eat different fruit throughout the day.
Here we’ll list the best fruit to eat in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Watermelon – If there is a person who doesn’t like this yummy, light, refreshing fruit? It contains a high amount of liquid packed with electrolytes which is a great combo, especially in summer, when people sweat a lot.
- Papaya – This fruit is high in fiber, and helps with weight loss and high cholesterol. Also, it’s low in calories.
- Blueberries – Known for their high amount of vitamins and antioxidants, blueberries are an excellent option for a healthy breakfast.
- Kiwi – It will boost your energy level since it contains a lot of fiber and minerals.
- Pomegranate – Enriched with powerful antioxidants, pomegranate is a great choice in the morning. Plus, it decreases inflammatory activities in your digestive tract.
- Plums – They are loaded with vitamins and minerals, and are one of the best allies of the bowel.
- Apple – It’s a great source of fiber, so eating an apple in the morning will boost your immunity
- Bananas – Well-known for their high amount of potassium, bananas are also low in salt. But don’t eat more than one banana if you’re trying to lose weight.
- Raspberries – Great for women during menstrual cycles, this fruit has a rich source of vitamin C.
As you can see, there is a variety of fruits you can eat for your breakfast. Make sure to choose fresh, seasonal fruits for your first meal.
Best Fruit For Weight Loss
Well, if you are currently on a weight loss journey, then you need to use and eat everything that can help you to achieve desirable results. Besides the smart exercise plan, you should eat well and be healthy. So, which fruits to eat on an empty stomach when are you trying to lose weight?
- Apple – a single apple will be enough in the morning, it’s delicious and will give you a good amount of fiber.
- Banans – They are low in salt, so keep your heart healthy. Also, one banana will keep you full for a longer period of time. But you should be careful if this fruit is your morning choice. You shouldn’t eat more than one banana if you are trying to lose weight.
- Grapefruit – It controls blood sugar levels and helps lower energy intake. Plus it helps you with food intake.
- Watermelon – Because of its high water content, eating a few slices of this fruit will keep you full.
- Kiwi – Kiwi does contain sugar, but the release is very slow, so it keeps you full longer.
Because fruit is generally low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins and minerals, it is a perfect choice for your morning routine.
Of course, you can’t eat a bunch of fruit and expect weight loss. Eat small portions throughout the day and the fruit will help you with an overall health condition which is a base for healthy weight loss.
Fruit Before Workout On Empty Stomach
Eating or not eating before a morning workout is still a controversial topic. If you decide to eat before you go to the gym or outside, this is a fruit that should be found on your morning plate.
- Banana – It is an ultimate grab-and-go type of breakfast, banana is easy on the stomach, but keeps you full. Also, it is packed with important electrolytes.
- Dates – Sweet, nutritious and delicious, dates are great if you need a little extra fuel before a workout.
- Dried Fruit – Opt for dried raisins, dried mango, dried apples, dried apricots, etc. They are naturally sweet and will give you the necessary fuel.
The guidance on how long you should wait after eating before a workout ranges widely, from 30 minutes to 3 hours. A good rule is to opt for a smaller portion than usual to have time to digest.
Another good tip – Prepare your pre-workout meal the night before and it will be ready when you wake up.
Best Fruit Combos In The Morning
Make some of these fruit plates for your breakfast and provide many useful nutrients to your body.
- Cherry, pineapple, blueberry – So-called, anti-inflammatory plate, these fruits are loaded with vitamin C, A, E, bromelain and antioxidants.
- Kiwi, strawberry, grapefruit – We’ll call this plate immune-boosting since these fruits are rich in vitamin C, A and minerals. These prevent free radical damage.
- Red grape, fig, pomegranate – Great antioxidant plate that will protect you from free radical damage. Also, they feature anti-aging properties.
- Banana, avocado, apple – This is a real energy-boosting plate, great for pre-workout. These fruits provide quick energy and keep you full.
What Fruit To Avoid In The Morning?
Unfortunately, some fruits are best to avoid in the morning.
They will leave you hungry quickly after eating, uncomfortably full or cause other unpleasant conditions. Here are some fruits to avoid having for breakfast and we’ll explain why.
- Citrus Fruit – That includes oranges, lemons, etc. They will increase acid production in your gut.
- Guava – It contains tough fibers that are best to eat later in the day.
- Tomatoes – They are fruit, yes. So, tomatoes will cause irritation, react with gastric acid and cause stomach discomfort.
- Fruit juices – Many people enjoy fruit juices, but you should skip them in the morning. This one is related to the first note about citrus fruit. There is a reason why to avoid them – when juicing fruits, some of the healthy fiber is lost, but there is still a high sugar level.
Some Breakfast Ideas That Include Fruits
If you aren’t a fan of eating just an apple, papaya or kiwi in the morning, there are some ideas on how to incorporate fruit in your first meal.
- A whole-grain toast with egg and avocado
- Full fat plain Greek yogurt with blueberries or raspberries
- Banana pancakes
- Smoothie with fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables
- Overnight oats with fresh/frozen berries
Any combo of food that will provide you with healthy fats, proteins and good carbs will give your body the boost it needs.
Disadvantages Of Eating Fruits On An Empty Stomach
As we already mentioned, fruits provide us with vital nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. But are there some disadvantages of eating fruit when you wake up?
There are actually the disadvantage of eating fruit in the morning only in one case – eating too much fruit. That will upset your digestive system and cause sugar imbalance.
The general recommendation for adults is to eat at least 1 1/2 cups of fruit per day for a healthy eating pattern. So this amount is ideal for the morning but an even better indicator of how much to eat on empty stomach is your organism. When you feel your stomach is full or near to be full, you should finish your breakfast. Also check your digestion after fruit meal. Digestion shows the best if someone’s organism tolerates fruit on an empty stomach or not.
To Wrap It Up
Eating plenty of fruit is a great way to get the nutrition you need – at any time of the day. Myths claiming that there is the best or worst time of the day when you should eat or avoid fruit are simply not true. But some fruits will benefit you the most in the morning on empty stomach. It may help you to lose weight or even make your workout results better.