Choosing the best home vacuum sealer can be very hard.
There are so many different models on the market, and they usually offer similar features.
That’s why I singled out six of the top-rated vacuum sealers you can currently find on the market. Find out more about the benefits they have to offer, compare their features, and find the perfect vacuum sealer for your home.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
What Is A Good Food Vacuum Sealer For Home Use?
The most popular sealing model for home use features an external design. Such a sealer, also known as a countertop model, comes with a size suitable for every kitchen and a convenient design for easy usage. Another option you can get is a handheld model. However, such a sealer isn’t as effective as a countertop one.
Can I Get A Chamber Sealer?
Well, you can, however, due to its higher price, bigger size, and heavy-duty construction, it is more often used for commercial use. In case you’re a serious cook and are planning on doing some serious home cooking, you can definitely get this model.
What Can I Seal With It?
You can vacuum seal almost every type of food. That includes meat, fruits, vegetables, dehydrated fruit, trail mix, rice and pasta, cereal, herbs and spices, popcorn kernels, and more.
Are There Foods I Can’t Seal?
Yes. Here is the list.
- Soft cheeses. Hard cheeses are okay with vacuum sealing operation, but for wet, soft, or crumbly cheeses, that isn’t such a good idea.
- Raw onions and garlic. The fumes that onions and garlic emit can inflate the bag and possibly create leaks in the vacuum.
- Raw vegetables in the “Cruciferae” and “Brassicaceae” families. That includes cabbage, broccoli, kale, radishes, bok choy, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and arugula. If you wish to vacuum seal such vegetables, you need to blanch them and let them cool thoroughly before the sealing operation.
- Raw mushrooms. What is interesting about mushrooms is that they actually decay faster when they are vacuum-sealed.
- Raw bananas. They also ripen faster in an anaerobic environment. The only way to seal bananas is to freeze them first. While the bananas are in that preserved state, you can vacuum seal them.
- Whole apples. You can’t vacuum seal any whole fruit. For example, apples need to be sliced first.
What About Liquids?
You can vacuum seal liquids, yes, however, you need a chamber vacuum sealer for that. A classic countertop sealer for home use isn’t suitable for that.
Bag Info & Details
One of the most important components of vacuum-sealing food is the bags you use. Here are the details you need to know about them.
- Can I Vacuum Seal Any Bag? No. You can’t use just any bag. Regular bags leak oxygen and will not hold a vacuum. When looking for a vacuum bag, be sure the bag specifies being a barrier bag.
- So, What Type I Can Use? You can use universal vacuum sealer bags or the bags made by the manufacturer of your vacuum sealer. Universal ones are made by OutOfAir Bags, FoodSaver Bags, Avid Armor Bags, Simple Houseware Bags, FoodVac Bags, and others.
- How Are These Bags Made? Most bags are made by lamination so they can be made in different microns, most commonly between 70 and 100. That means that thicker layers of plastic are laminated on top of each other.
- Do They Come With A Sealer? That really depends from one model to the other. Some of the models come with the included bags, others don’t.
- Where Can I Buy The Bags? There are many online shops where you can buy vacuum bags, that includes Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and Home Depot. Also, you can find the bags at your local homeware store.
- What Are The Best Brands? Definitely FoodSaver, Avid Armor, and Simple Houseware.
How Much Does The Vacuum Sealer Cost?
Models for home use can be priced anywhere between $40 and $500.
Is It Worth Buying A Vacuum Sealer?
Absolutely. Here are some of the benefits.
- Time-saving appliance. You can seal and freeze family-sized or individual portions and when it’s time to eat – fix the portions and serve. That’s it.
- Money-saving option too. When you buy meats in bulk, divide them into meal-sized portions, and seal them, you can have fresh meat for up to 6 months. That is a great cost-saving option!
- Food preservation. Vacuum sealing the food prevents the growth of bacteria and mold. It deprives the food of oxygen and bacteria can’t grow without it.
- Efficient food organization. Vacuum sealed food takes up less room in the refrigerator or freezer. Thanks to that, you’ll have a more efficient and organized space.
- Food stays tasty, fresh, and safe. Vacuum sealing holds in the juices, moisture, and flavor of the food. It also keeps food from spoiling.
How Do I Choose A Vacuum Sealer For My House?
Of course, before you buy a new vacuum sealer for your household, you need to check the appliance’s key specifications and, of course, functions. Here are all the details.
Most vacuum sealers are made from plastic. In the terms of this appliance, plastic construction is relatively strong and durable, so you can’t go wrong with it. On the other hand, some models are made from stainless steel, which is considered to be the strongest material on the market.
Small vacuum sealers for home usually have seal bars in the 8 to 11 inches range. If you want to seal larger items, go with models that are wider with a 12 to 16 inches range.
Most of the vacuum sealers that are available on the market and designed for home use have very simple and user-friendly controls. Some of them even have built-in indicator lights that navigate you through the vacuuming and sealing process.
Multiple Sealing Modes
In the terms of vacuum sealers, most models have dry and moist food modes, as well as a pulse mode.
- Dry mode is used for all vacuum-sealed dry items. That includes grains, nuts, and pasta.
- A moist setting is great for sealing food that has any liquids or possible moisture in the bag. That doesn’t include soups and sauces. Recommended foods for this setting are seafood, vegetables, fruits, meat, and cheese.
- The pulse option allows you to manually start and stop the vacuum for optimal control of air removal. That prevents the crushing of delicate foods such as potato chips and baked goods.
Most of these models feature a noise level between 70 and 83 decibels. That is as loud as a vacuum cleaner.
Best 6 Vacuum Sealers For Home Use
FoodSaver V4840 Sealer
Dimensions: 18.8 x 9.5 x 10.6 inches
Weight: 10 Lbs
Power Source: Electric
Suction Power: 120 Watts
This vacuum sealer comes with very simple, user-friendly controls. Once you load up your bag simply place the open end inside the vacuuming chamber and set the desired operating mode. The small built-in LED indicator lights will guide you through the entire vacuuming process.
Moisture detection can come in very handy because it means that you will be able to vacuum seal bags that contain liquids too. Even if you set the wrong operating mode, once the unit detects moisture inside the bag it will automatically switch to the right one.
Additional Handheld Sealer
The great thing about this FoodSaver model for wet food is that it comes with an additional retractable handheld sealer. That means that you will be able to use the vacuumer on all FoodSaver accessories such as glass jars, containers, wine stoppers, etc.
You can be sure that this kitchen vacuum sealer is perfectly safe to use. It even comes with a safety certificate that ensures that a representative sample of the product has been tested and approved to meet specific national safety requirements.
- user-friendly controls with built-in indicator lights
- powerful air-tight heat seal
- smart technology moisture detection
- built-in bag roll storage and a sharp cutter
- additional retractable handheld sealer
- tested and approved to meet specific safety measures
- compatible with all FoodSaver accessories
Weston Pro-2300 Sealer
Dimensions: 15.3 x 23 x 9 inches
Weight: 22 Lbs
Power Source: Electric
Suction Power: 935 Watts
The Weston vacuum sealer features a high-quality commercial-grade design. It is entirely made out of highly durable stainless steel material that is resistant to scratches, dents, and any sort of stains. This also means that this vacuum sealer requires very little maintenance.
You can be sure that this industrial vacuum sealer will provide you with a very powerful performance. It comes with a double piston pump that will remove all the excess air from the bags in no time. The unit is compatible with both FoodSaver and Ziploc vacuum sealing bags.
Another great thing about this domestic vacuum sealer machine is that it comes with a high-quality fan cooled motor. Thanks to that feature you will be able to use this vacuum sealer continuously without worrying that the motor might start to overheat.
Extra-Long Sealing Bar
Thanks to the extra-long sealing bar that comes with this Weston vacuum sealer you will be able to use this unit to seal up the bags that are up to fifteen inches wide. Additionally, the sealer’s see-through lid will help you align your bag properly to ensure that you get the perfect seal.
- high-quality stainless steel design
- powerful double piston vacuum pump
- extremely durable fan cooled motor
- auto and manual operating mode
- fifteen inches long heat sealing bar
- compatible with FoodSaver and Ziploc vacuum bags
NutriChef PKVS Vacuum Sealer
Dimensions: 6 x 14.1 x 3 inches
Weight: 2.9 Lbs
Power Source: Electric
Suction Power: 110 Watts
Simple Plug-In Design
This vacuum sealing machine for home use offers a very simple plug-in design. Also, it comes with a user-friendly control panel that is located atop the vacuum sealers lid. Thanks to that feature you will be able to easily set the desired operating mode and turn the sealer on.
Different Sealing Modes
Like most of the vacuum sealers, you can find on the market, this model also offers different vacuum sealing modes. These include normal and gentle. That means that you will be able to use this unit to vacuum up and seal different delicate ingredients too.
Dry & Moist Settings
Additionally, this unit offers both dry and moist food settings. You will be able to use it to seal up both crackers and chips, and ingredients with some liquid. Note that this means moist ingredients and not pure liquids such as soups.
Complete Starter Kit
Alongside the NutriChef automatic vacuum sealer, you will also get a complete starter kit. It includes an air suction hose, wine stopper cork, five pre-cut bags, and one large bag roll. Both the bags and the bag roll are completely waterproof and reusable.
- practical plug-in electric design
- different vacuum sealing settings
- both dry and moist settings
- comes with everything you need to get started
Mueller MU-VACSEAL Vacuum Sealer
Dimensions: 14 x 3 x 5 inches
Weight: 2.2 Lbs
Power Source: Electric
Suction Power: Not Specified
Small & Compact Design
The Mueller vacuum sealer comes in a highly practical, small design. This makes it a great choice for everyone who doesn’t have too much free space inside their kitchen. It is also very simple to transport and requires little storage space.
Another great thing about this vacuum sealer is that it provides you with very simple user-friendly controls. Additionally, it also offers built-in LED indicator lights that will let you know how the vacuum sealing process is going.
Additionally, this home vacuum packaging machine requires very little maintenance. To clean it properly, simply wipe the vacuuming chamber with a clean damp cloth and dry it up. Make sure you do this after each use to prevent bacteria build-up.
This small model comes with additional features that include an extra-long bag roll, pre-cut medium vacuum bags, and an air-suction hose. Thanks to those features you will be able to use it on a variety of accessories such as glass jars that have an air valve on their lids.
- small and lightweight design
- takes up little storage space
- easy to move around and transport
- built-in digital touch buttons with indicator lights
- comes with included accessories
GERYON E2900M Vacuum Sealer
Dimensions: 2.5 x 5.4 x 14.6 inches
Weight: 2.2 Lbs
Power Source: Electric
Suction Power: 110 Watts
You can be sure that this vacuum sealer will provide you with a very powerful performance. Like all other vacuum sealers in this post, this one is also designed to help you remove all the excess air from your vacuum bags and preserve your food in its perfect condition for a long time.
Automatic & Manual Options
This GERYON vacuum sealer also offers both automatic and manual sealing options. This is a great thing because it means that you will be able to adjust its performance according to your needs and to the ingredients, you are storing inside the bags.
Another great thing about this affordable sealer is that it is compatible with a variety of vacuum sealing bags that are up to twelve inches wide. Additionally, it comes with five pre-cut heat seal bags and a long bag roll to ensure that you can make custom size bags too.
This household food vacuum sealer is the most affordable model out of all countertop vacuum sealers that are listed in this post. It costs less than one hundred dollars which makes it a great choice for everyone who wants a more affordable vacuum sealer.
- a high-temperature twelve-inch sealing strip
- both manual and automatic modes
- built-in LED indicator lights
- the most affordable model on the list
FoodSaver 31161370 Sealer
Dimensions: 4.33 x 6.5 x 11.42 inches
Weight: 0.5 Lbs
Power Source: Battery Powered
Suction Power: Not Specified
This FoodSaver vacuum sealer comes in a highly practical small size. Thanks to that feature you will be able to use it single-handedly and store it inside your kitchen drawers. It is a perfect choice if you want a vacuum sealer you can take anywhere you go.
Even though this vacuum sealer comes in a smaller handheld design, it will still provide you with a very powerful performance. The best thing is that you can use it on a variety of FoodSaver accessories. These include bags that have an air valve, glass jars, containers, etc.
Built-In Rechargeable Battery
The best thing about this portable home small vacuum sealer is that it comes with a built-in rechargeable battery. It will help you seal up to sixty one-quart vacuum sealing bags on only one 24 hour charge. The charging dock comes included in the package with this sealer.
The FoodSaver household vacuum sealer offers a completely cordless design. Thanks to that feature you will never have to worry about any additional mess on your kitchen countertops. Also, this unit costs less than fifty dollars which makes it a very budget-friendly choice.
- small and compact size
- powerful vacuuming and sealing performance
- completely portable and requires little storage space
- built-in rechargeable battery
- charging station included in the package
- highly practical cordless design
How To Use?
It is actually really easy to use a vacuum sealer at home. Here are the steps.
- Fill a vacuum bag with your desired ingredients.
- Fasten the bar sealer on the top of the vacuum bag and turn on the machine.
- Remove the sealed bag.
Quick & Easy Vacuum Cleaning
Even though it can seem like this kitchen appliance is too complex for the cleaning operation, it is actually quite simple. You just need to wipe out the seal area by using a soft cloth with a little bit of soap or mild detergent. Afterward, you need to wipe it dry by using another soft cloth. And that’s it.
How To Seal Food At Home Without Machine?
In case you really don’t need a vacuum sealer but you still want to seal and preserve food from time to time, there is one simple way to do it by using just a bowl, water, and vacuum bag. Afterward, you can safely store sealed food in the freezer. Follow these steps.
- Fill a larger bowl with water.
- Place the food you want into the plastic bag made for vacuum sealing.
- By using your hands, press out as much air as possible.
- Press the seal almost all the way closed, leaving just a little corner of the top unsealed.
- Hold the bag by that unsealed corner and lower it into the water.
- Press out any air bubbles that might get trapped with the food.
- When you reach the unsealed corner, press the seal closed, and you’re done.
To Wrap It Up
Vacuum sealar eases up the preservation of food, it keeps it fresh, tasty, and juicy. So isn’t that surprising that this machine is a favorite kitchen appliance. However, you need to make sure that you choose the best model that will meet your needs and preferences.