Onions are one of the most common spices and aromatics people like to add to their dishes. Most recipes get their savory and flavorful taste from this delicious vegetable.
Anyway, why are you craving onions and what does it mean when you crave onions?
Onion cravings happen due to several reasons, so here you’ll learn possible causes and how to respond properly without compromising your overall health.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Onions are bulb-shaped vegetables that are grown worldwide. They are closely related to chives, garlic, scallions, shallots and leeks. It is a staple food in many cuisines.
Raw onions are very low in calories, it contains only 40 calories per 3.5 ounces (100 grams). The main nutrients in 3.5 oz of raw onions are:
- Calories – 40
- Water – 89%
- Protein – 1.1 grams
- Carbs – 9.3 grams
- Sugar – 4.2 grams
- Fiber – 1.7 grams
- Fat – 0.1 grams
So, they consist mostly of water, carbs and fiber. Also, onions contain vitamin C, folate, vitamin B6, potassium and antioxidants, so they are very healthy vegetables.
Onion Health Benefits
We’ll mention why onion is good for your health and why it’s good to include it in your diet.
- Blood sugar regulation – Some studies suggest that eating onions can lower blood sugar levels
- Bone health – Regular onion consumption is linked to increased bone density. Onions can help against bone deterioration.
- Reduce the risk of cancer – Some researchers claim that increased onion consumption can reduce the risk of some types of cancer.
- Reduce cholesterol levels – Onions are rich in nutrients that support bad cholesterol removal from your body.
- Improve skin and hair health – This vegetable is a good source of vitamins A and C, which are beneficial to hair and skin health.
Why Am I Craving Onions?
It seems a bit unusual to crave onions, whilst many people crave chocolate, ice cream, cakes, etc. 😀 We can say that onion craving is not quite as popular. But it is what it is. First, let’s check which nutrients the onion contains.
Here we listed the most common reasons when it comes to this desire for onions, so check them. You may find the cause of your craving.
- Nutrient Deficiency – This is the main cause of craving this vegetable. As we mention above, they contain some nutrients, so it could mean your body needs those nutrients and might seek them through onion cravings. If you suddenly crave onions, probably this is the reason. There is another thing worth mentioning – if you crave onions all the time, think about adjusting your current diet and adding more nutrients to it.
- Vitamin Deficiency – Since onions are rich in some vitamins and minerals such as folate, potassium, vitamin B6, manganese, vitamin C and others, your body might seek for some of those.
- Stress – Your craving can be caused by some stressful period, so your body might look for nutrients that can be found in this vegetable. Remember that the key is in moderation.
- Liver Malfunction – Onions contain sulfur, which is important for proper liver function. If there is not enough sulfur in your body, your liver will struggle to work properly. This is a serious health issue and it’s best to contact your doctor immediately.
- Hunger – Maybe it sounds a bit silly you crave onions when hungry, but onions do contain calories that your body seeks when you’re hungry.
- Diabetes – Sometimes this kind of craving can be a symptom of some underlying medical condition, such as diabetes.
- Feeling Sick – If you feel ill, you can crave some flavors and textures that can help you feel better. Also, onion contains vitamin C, which can be beneficial if you have an infection.
- Comfort and Satisfaction – It is interesting, but people often find comfort and satisfaction in eating onions.
Emotional Reasons For Onion Craving
When it comes to the emotional aspect, craving this vegetable can be a signal of stress or anxiety.
Onions contain minerals (selenium, magnesium, manganese, copper and zinc) that help develop and improve mental health.
As long as you eat it in moderation, there is nothing wrong with onion consumption.
Craving Raw Or Fried Onions
You can eat onions in many ways – cooked, raw, fried, or grilled. Onions are healthy whether raw or fried, but keep in mind that raw onions contain more sulfur compounds. These compounds are very good for cancer and high blood sugar prevention.
If you craving raw onions, you might lack some nutrients or vitamins. However, craving fried onions mean your body needs more healthy fats.
Craving Onions During Pregnancy
Well, onions contain nutrients that are beneficial for pregnant women.
So, add more nutrient food into your current diet.As a pregnant woman, you need more nutrients to keep your body and your baby healthy.
Of course, you need to consume onions in moderation.
There is a myth that claims the craving for onions indicates the arrival of a baby girl. Of course, it is just a myth, craving for some food, onions or garlic or anything else can’t predict gender.
But, this craving isn’t a sign of pregnancy, as many people think.
Craving Onions During Period
If you crave onions during your period, you may lack healthy fats. These fats will ease your period and reduce menstrual cramps.
We want to emphasize this doesn’t mean you should eat fatty food before or during your period, but onions are healthy and you can consume them.
Can You Eat Too Much Onion?
Of course, you can! And that can be harmful to your health, so avoid doing that.
You can experience bloating or indigestion. So, which amount of onion is optimal for your health? It is one onion a day.
Craving Onions And Tomatoes
You may not believe us, but there is a condition called tomatophagia.
It refers to an insatiable craving for tomatoes and tomato products (such as ketchup). So, if you are craving both onions and tomatoes, you probably have this condition.
Take it seriously, this condition can be a side effect of iron deficiency anemia and it is caused by an inadequate amount of healthy red blood cells. We recommend making an appointment with your doctor to exclude this condition.
How To Stop Craving Onions?
If you want to stop this craving, you can eat some onions or food similar in nutrients.
Also, you should add food that contains healthy fats, protein, fiber, zinc and other vitamins and minerals into your diet.
If your body lack some nutrient, think about your current diet and try to include various food such as vegetables, fruits and other nutrient-rich food.
You can eat:
- an onion sandwich,
- add onions to your salad,
- make onion soup,
- fry up some onions for breakfast or dinner,
- add onions to many dishes,
- add shallot, celery and fennel into your diet.
To Wrap It Up
Onions craving can be caused by many factors. The reasons can be both emotional and physical, so it is important to understand what triggers your craving and how to deal with it without compromising your health.